Hello there! In today’s post, I’m glad to finally share about the first dress I made for myself. This year we have quite a few weddings to attend. My rotation of dresses hasn’t changed much within the past couple of years. This year, I made it a goal to make at least one dress to wear to one event.
I knew I should start with a simple silhouette. Luckily, simple silhouettes are in-style. I found this Anthropologie dress that looked fun for a day wedding.
I was able to find Butterick’s B6086 commercial pattern that matched this dress. The dress is lined and has pockets! I love dresses with pockets ❤ ❤ ❤
I tried not to go too crazy with my fabric selection. I was able to find a this floral lace jacquard fabric at Joann’s for 60% off the regular price. What a steal! Together with the lining, thread, and zipper, the material costs for this dress came out to about $35. Compare that the Anthro Dress at its original price of $168!!
This fabric is great because it’s reversible! I chose to use the darker side for my dress. Since this was my first time making a dress with this pattern, I decided to make a mock dress with remnant fabric I had lying around. I wanted to see how much ease (i.e. extra wiggle room) I would need to remove from the commercial pattern size.
Overall, the general fit wasn’t too bad.The length of the dress was fine. The bust and waist needed the most adjustments. With the help of my mom’s careful instructions, I learned to make the necessary alterations to the bust darts and take in the sides. Once I was happy with the fit, I moved onto making the dress with the nice fabric. It was kind of nerve-wrecking, especially piecing the fabric to the lining, but it came together alright. I finished it just in the nick of time to wear to a wedding.
Here’s a photo of the hubby and I . Perfect weather for a beautiful day wedding.
I’m quite pleased how the dress turned out. It’s going to be a nice staple in my closet. 🙂