My husband’s dress shirts always rip at the elbow first without fail. In the past when that happened, the dress shirt became useless to him, and in the trash it went. So sad. Now that I have my sewing machine, I save them to practice my sewing. It’s free fabric for me to mess around with. If I screw up, oh well.
Lately, I had been pinning quite a bit of clothing-related sewing ideas, one of which was a tutorial to transform a men’s dress shirt to a woman’s dress shirt from Cotton&Curls. Considering I had never sewn a single article of clothing before, I thought this project was perfect to try because it only involved deconstructing the shirt, cutting the pieces down to size, and putting it back together. No pattern needed! So here’s the my husband’s dress shirt that was to be my guinea pig. You can see the tear on the left sleeve.
The tutorial was pretty easy to follow concept-wise. My lack of experience in sewing clothing is what made this project difficult. But you have to start somewhere, right? There was definitely a learning curve that I had to overcome. I studied the construction of my own dress shirts to understand how the seams were supposed to look on both the inside and outside. I didn’t take pictures of the process this time around because I just wanted to focus on making it look right. To be honest, I went through several iterations of sewing certain portions of the shirt at times. To add my own twist, I chose to make the shirt sleeveless since warm weather has finally arrived. I added mini ruffle sleeves as a finishing touch. Here is the finished product!
I love it, it’s simple and clean. This is a great addition to my spring/summer wardrobe!
I feel inspired now to make other clothing pieces. My husband better beware, his shirts might start to go “missing”. =P