A few months ago, I made the decision to buy a sewing machine. The reasoning behind the purchase was to be able to custom decorate my house affordably by making my own curtains and pillow cases and whatever other projects Pinterest could inspire me with.
Now, my mother, who is an amazing seamstress, did spend one summer teaching me as a kid how to use a sewing machine. I even had my own toy sewing machine to practice on. All I ever made were makeshift smocks and pillows for my Barbie dolls, which turned out less than spectacular. So I did have some familiarity with using a sewing machine, but from what I could remember that was very little. Therefore, deciding on a specific sewing machine wasn’t the hardest part; rather, mustering up the courage to unpack the sewing machine from the box and learning how to use it was.
After two months of procrastination, I finally opened the box and set up my new toy: a Brother CS6000i Computer Sewing Machine. To my relief, setting it up was relatively painless as the instruction manual was easy to follow.
Now, it was time to sew! The first project I wanted to tackle was making curtains for the main floor. However, I decided that it would be better to first pick a smaller-scale project to become comfortable with the machine. So I tried to think of something useful I could make and turned to Pinterest (as always) for inspiration. Then, it dawned on me to make a travel pouch for my iPhone and accessories.
Here was my dilemma. When I carried my headphones and usb charger for my iPhone, I used to just put them altogether in my Hello Kitty drawstring pouch or just throw them straight into my bag, both of which created a wire tangling nightmare every time I want to retrieve either from my bag. I came across these two images/links on Pinterest that could potentially solve my problem:
I liked the first option because it had three compartments: one for the phone, one for the headphones, and one for the usb charger! I liked the second option because it showed me how to secure the pouch closed. In addition, the sleeves for each compartment were deeper, providing a more secure fit and lesser chance of the items falling out. So, instead of choosing between the both of them, I decided to combine the two and make my own pattern. Here’s what I ended up with!
I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out given this was my first sewing project. All my materials were scraps from given by my mother or my own crafting stash. The lace and button are my favorite details! There are some definite improvements which could be made, but I’ll have to think about it and get back to ya’ll in a different post down the road. Nevertheless, I’ve been using this the past few weeks, and it’s definitely solved my organization problem, so I’m a happy camper. =D